Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Seems like only yesterday....

So... this morning at 3:00 I was channel surfing and I came across PBS. The movie that was playing had that BBC- movie based off of a classic- type look about it so I thought... OK... This looks good. As I'm watching it I find it's about WW1 and I come in on some sort of Army training facility. And there is a little short twerp trying to fire a rifle at a target, while keeping his glasses on in the rain. After a moment, I realize... the little twerp is little Daniel Radcliffe- Harry Potter. I sit up and I said to myself, "Self, you should look at the TV guide to find out if that is Harry Potter and if so, what the heck is it."
So I get up and look and it is in fact a BBC movie called, My Boy Jack.
A film about Rudyard Kipling and his wife trying to find out what has become of their son whom had gone missing after become an officer in the British Army at a tender age of 18 years and a day old.
So I sit and think, "I can't take him seriously unless he's holding a wand and crying about how unfair life is because Lord Voldemort is out to get him." Then I made a few cracks about what a tiny little shrimp he is (Or at least how short he looks) and other lame things like, "If he had Ron and Hermione he wouldn't have gone missing."
Anyways, they get into the battle sequences and people are exploding and falling dead left and right... I didn't notice until about twenty minutes later that I had a very concentrated, concerned and mock worthy look upon my face.
By the end of the movie, I didn't even connect him with Harry Potter.... I have to say he did a surprisingly good
job acting as though he was in a war... Not Saving Private Ryan worthy... but still... He's little Danny Radcliffe...
It seems like only yesterday when I was but a las of fourteen, one of the many girls that age who thought he was the bee's knee's... (Well... until I realized I was like a foot taller than him.... that was sad...)
But oh... they grow up so fast.... *sniffle*

Well... not literally... ...

4 comments:

Amy said...

He looks like Hitler...little Hilter Potter.

Bonkers said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... eeehhh... that's good stuff....

Dan said...

Hey, anything about Kipling has got to be pretty good. The man wrote about little Irish orphan's playing the Great Game against the Russians in Pakistan, and Indian foundlings raised by wolves, and he had alot to do with the creation of the Boy Scouts.

The poem Kipling wrote about his son, My Boy Jack, and the circumstances around it are depressing, but it probably influenced much of what he wrote afterwards.

They did a good job making Harry Potter look like an authentic Great War-era man. All European types seems to have looked like Hitler during that era, and ol' Adolph really ruined that little mustache for men everywhere.

I mean, what if I had wanted to get all Emo and grow a little 'stache and strut around with greasy hair and jack boots? Can I? No. Hitler made that image taboo for everyone else. Jerk.

Dan said...

You're wrong in one way, Amy.

Because of Hitler, we now have a plethora of excellent games like Call of Duty to entertain us for hours and hours. I mean really, there's nothing better to relieve stress than killing Nazis. They're the one bad guy nobody has any sympathy for.

And let us not forget that even though the Nazi regime was all kinds of horrifying, they did actually drive scientific, technological, and medical principles forward faster than if they had never existed.

Not much comfort to those they killed, but nevertheless real.

Looking For Something?